Typically, when a company decides to build a mobile app, they are either playing catch up with their competitors, or have identified a business opportunity previously untapped. Whatever the reason, executives want the application built out and released ASAP.
However, as most people know, ASAP often means many compromises need to be made as well as well making decisions on the fly. Both hybrid and native approaches can get the job done but there are certain considerations that should be understood right off the bat.
First, if a company can wait six months or more before the app is launched, a native approach makes the most sense. Native applications have the best performance, highest security, and best user experience. However, if the desired time to market is less than six months, then hybrid could be a better alternative because the app can be built in one source code, can be released across platforms, and development time and effort is considerably less as compared to that of native applications.
Again, another word of caution. Your users will EXPECT a great experience. They do not care what approach your team decided to take. They will open the app and EXPECT it to be intuitive and responsive in terms of speed.
Getting out the door may guarantee a mobile presence but it certainly doesn’t guarantee the success of the mobile app in question. As mobile app usage has taken over traditional browsing paths (desktop/laptop), companies with a mobile presence must constantly think about the two key promoters or detractors of their application: speed and user experience. So, we need to look at the features of both the apps.
What is native application development?
In straightforward words, native applications are predominantly created for a single platform. Additionally, native mobile application development is a procedure that assists with building an application for different working frameworks, for example, iOS, Windows, and Android. Those applications which are created under native platforms will just deal with a single working framework. This implies developers should make different renditions of that specific application for various working frameworks. The native applications give advanced execution and they exploit the most innovation, some popular example Facebook. Twitter, Instagram, Skype, KFC, Myntra.
The developers compose code in Swift or Objective-C for iOS applications, Java for Android Native applications and C# for Windows. The development of application, structure, realistic styles, typography, enhanced visualizations, information passage, and so on everything differs between the working frameworks. The native applications are equipped for getting to the highlights that are available in the mobile rapidly like an amplifier, camera, area identification, and so on. They rush to send the pop-up messages as well. A portion of the well-known native applications that are accessible in the market is Pokémon Go, Waze, Twitter, and so on. The native applications give much better client experience when contrasted with hybrid applications.
The valuing for native application development may shift from $5000 to $250,000 contingent upon the unpredictability of the application. For the most part, the native applications give ideal execution and take gigantic advantages of the most recent innovations, for example, AR, VR. You can get a sensible introduction at an entirely dependable expense with Augmented and Virtual Reality application development. The native applications are sufficiently competent to get to mobile highlights, for example, camera, area, receiver, and so on. Pokemon Go, Twitter, Waze, and so forth are a portion of the renowned native applications in the present time.
Advantages of Native applications:
1. Best Performance: Native apps are very fast and responsive because they are built for that specific platform and are compiled using platforms core programming language and APIs. As a result, the app is much more efficient.
2. Speed: A native mobile application performs faster and is easier to work with because it uses the device’s built-in features.
3. Better UX/UI: The UX patterns recur in other native apps, so people will intuitively know how to move around in your app as well. UX/UI is unified within a given platform, so it is already well known by users.
4. Few Bugs: With native app development, you have fewer dependencies for bugs to occur because you’re not relying on a cross-platform tool such as Xamarin or Cordova. Hybrid apps access hardware through a bridge which often slows development down and can amount to a frustrating user experience.
5. Execution: Native mobile apps run much smoother regarding user input and output. These types of apps inherit their devices’ OS interfaces, making them look and feel like an integrated part of the device. Also, the most advantageous benefit to native mobile apps is the superior user experience.
6. Scalability: Native projects are faster to configure because they must be compatible with only one platform. Even if there are two native projects, they are completely separate, so you do not have to worry about the compatibility of app dependencies between versions for different platforms (Android, iOS) and you can freely use any new features on a given platform.
7. Access the Full Feature Set of Devices: These apps can directly access the hardware of the device such as the GPS, camera, microphone, etc. so they are faster in execution, which ultimately results in better user experience. Push notifications are another huge advantage to choosing native app development.
8. Less reliant: Dependencies on open source libraries and platforms are lesser than hybrid structures.
9. Security: Developing a native mobile app is a great way to guarantee your users reliable data protection.
10. Offline use: Offline mode is accessible for the greater part of the applications.
Disadvantages of Native applications:
1. Significant expenses: Increase being developed time is decidedly connected to an expansion in costs. Additionally, every platform code has its updates and discharges, adding to the expense.
2. Complex coding: You need a team of skilled developers with wider specialization to build a top-notch app that will conquer the hearts of your target audience. Native is perplexing to code and the code convenience is likewise low.
3. High application development time: One needs to make 3 diverse applications for iOS, Windows, and Android which implies the development procedure will be slower.
4. Complicated maintenance: Users of different devices could be using different versions of the app, which can complicate maintenance.
What is hybrid application development?
These hybrid applications are financially savvy and practically all the new companies and individuals who are on a firm spending plan generally select crossover application development. The expense of creating hybrid applications is less when contrasted and native applications. One can get an application for $4800 to 100,000 contingent on the multifaceted nature and nature of the application. An application created from hybrid mobile development may look precisely like a native application, however, this application runs on a web motor.
Advantages of hybrid applications:
1. Low application development cost: As development time diminishes and coding is likewise not unreasonably perplexing, the expense of creating hybrid applications additionally decreases.
2. Low development time: As there is only one codebase, development time diminishes essentially.
3. One codebase for all platforms: The code should be composed for one platform and changed to make it run on every single other platform. There is no compelling reason to configuration, create, and keep up independent renditions of the application to run on discrete platforms.
Disadvantages of hybrid applications:
1. Conditions: Hybrid applications are profoundly dependent on various libraries and structures
2. UI/UX: There is as yet a slack in UI/UX with regards to hybrid applications
3. Execution: Hybrid loads in web View which is acceptable however hasn’t arrived at the native execution yet, particularly with regards to gaming. Nevertheless, once more, if a hybrid application is extraordinarily all around manufactured, it should give an immaculate exhibition.
Native versus hybrid application: What’s the distinction?
The principal thing to refer to discussing the distinction among native and hybrid applications is that the native ones are produced for a particular platform like iOS or Android. Plunging further, we should refer to that native applications are working with software languages that are formally boosted by the platform. For Android, those languages are Java and Kotlin, while for iOS Objective-C and Swift.
Each conveys their advantages and defeats, and the decision you have will affect the course of your development. This is the reason the key to this procedure is understanding your advantages and constraints and utilizing them to get the best return as your application. Also, after you’ve considered your choices and settled, you must work with engineers that can picture your thought and breathe life into it on your financial limit and as per the center objective of your business.